Kyle made it to Russia yesterday at 4:18 pm, after traveling over 25 hours via three airlines. We stayed up most of the night and watched him fly via a flight tracker. I think I feel asleep from about 3-4:30 am and awoke with my iPad next to me in bed to see that he was over England and heading to Germany. If you have never looked at a flight tracker on the internet then you should because it is amazing to see how many planes are actually in the air. The skies over Europe were crazy. We then tracked his flight to Yekat, but all the sudden just east of Moscow it fell off the radar. As we watched we realized that all the planes were dropping off at the same area. Simply a lack of radar stations. (I would recommend flightradar24.com if anyone is curious)
Today I got a call on my cell phone from United Airlines wondering how they could get one of Kyle's bags to him. Apparently the tags had all been ripped off and they never put it on the Lufthansa flight from Chicago to Germany. They had to go through his luggage, read his letters, and figured out his first name was Kyle (They could not find a last name) and then found my cell number in the suitcase. So they are sending his bag to Russia from Chicago. Kyle never realized it until he was in Russia. Then this morning he sent me 2 sentences via email stating he was there and what city he was going to serve in and he failed to mention the lost luggage. I called SLC and they told me to call the mission office in Russia. That was an fun 4 minute call. I found out from the Elder who answered the phone that they knew he was missing a bag and had filled out a missing baggage report. I let him know that United called me and Lufthansa would be bringing the bag to the mission office probably next week.
It has been a fun last few days. Kyle will be sending his first official email from Russia on Sunday night, which is Monday there.
I appreciate everyone's support.
Love, Kathy
No comments:
Post a Comment